Vacancy Announcement: PRESIDENT
|Organisation Unit: Euro-Mediterranean University (EMUNI), Piran, Slovenia
|Vacancy: University President
|Reference No. 2023/CALL/EMUNI/PIR/EP/01
|Applications to: EMUNI Search Commission
|Closing Date: 15 September 2023 at 23:59 CET
About the Organisation:
In June 2008, during a prominent celebration attended by the President of the European Commission and numerous ministers and dignitaries from Slovenia and around the world, the Euro-Mediterranean University (EMUNI) was inaugurated in Slovenia.
Shortly thereafter, EMUNI was endorsed by the heads of states at the Paris Summit for the Mediterranean, identifying EMUNI in their declaration as one of the priority areas of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM). EMUNI was entrusted with the mission of contributing to knowledge amongst people in the region by establishing and fostering a Euro-Mediterranean higher education and research area.
EMUNI’s mission remains all the more relevant today. Inclusive growth and development are increasingly contingent upon the advancement of knowledge and innovation. Peace, security and prosperity in the Euro-Mediterranean region continue to be the highest priority for the participating states. EMUNI, with its vast network of more than 140 Universities from over 30 Euro-Mediterranean States, is more than just a conventional university. It is a university that operates through true partnership with other universities. It is a resilient network of collaborating higher education institutions from across the Mediterranean and it is also a platform for inter-cultural dialogue and science diplomacy. For more information, please visit https://emuni.si/ .
The Euro-Mediterranean University (EMUNI) is recruiting a new President to succeed the current President whose term in office is ending on the 31st of January 2024.
The President is the management and expert body of the University, as well as its legal representative.
The President of the University shall:
- organise and direct the work and the business operations, as well as represent and act on behalf of the University;
- be responsible for the legality and competent performance of work, and for the business results;
- be responsible for the establishment and implementation of the internal organisational structure, together with the rules and regulations for the management of the University;
- direct the expert work of the University;
- adopt general acts of the University, the adoption of which does not fall into the sphere of competence of other University bodies;
- be in charge of preparing the materials necessary for the operation of other University bodies;
- be in charge of implementing the decisions of other University’s bodies;
- draw up the proposal of the University Development Programme;
- draw up the proposal of the annual work programme including the employment plan and be in charge of its implementation;
- draw up the proposal of the University’s annual report and/or other financial reports;
- adopt the classification of employment positions, employ University employees and engage consultants and service providers;
- issue individual acts and carry out individual measures;
- be responsible for the monitoring, assessing and assuring of quality (self-evaluation of the University);
- suggest the business policy and the measures for its implementation;
- decide on issues of economic and material nature and provide for the undisturbed operations of the University, in conformity with the adopted University Development Programme and its annual work programmes;
- decide on the rights, obligations and responsibilities of the University’s employees;
- may recommend the appointment of Vice Presidents to the Management Board;
- perform other tasks in compliance with the regulations and the provisions of the University acts.
The President of the University shall have to meet the following requirements:
- holds a doctorate degree
- holds the academic title of full professor, preferably at an academic institution in one of the Union for the Mediterranean States;
- has a distinguished record of experience gathered in educational and research activities in the higher education system;
- has a distinguished record of experience in the area of inter-institutional academic co-operation in the Euro-Mediterranean region ;
- has a track record in university governance;
- prominent track record of organisational and managerial skills,
- be fluent in English, as well as one additional language of a Member States of the Union for the Mediterranean.
He/she shall preferably hold the citizenship of one of the Member States of the Union for the Mediterranean.
This is an onsite full-time position and relocation at or close to the university venue in Piran, Slovenia is required.
Desirable qualifications and characteristics:
Established profile in the international community. Experience and established track record in managing donor relations and fund-raising from governmental, non-governmental and international organisations. Knowledge, appreciation of, and commitment to the principles and ideals of the Union for the Mediterranean. Capability to maintain close cooperation with individuals, governments, and research institutions worldwide to promote scientific cooperation. Great drive and initiative to achieve the goals of EMUNI. Demonstrated commitment to gender and diversity issues. Fluency in other official Union for the Mediterranean languages is desirable.
It is expected that the appointee will take up the position on 1 February 2024.
Duration of Contract:
The initial appointment will be for a five-year term, subject to mid-term evaluation by the University’s Management Board, with the possibility of a second term.
EMUNI offers a reasonable package, including an annual salary and a post-adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in Piran, Slovenia.
EMUNI is strongly committed to achieving gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. The University has a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Individuals who seek to serve with the EMUNI in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed, been convicted of, nor prosecuted for, any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.
Conflict of interest:
All EMUNI staff members are expected to uphold the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity. Senior leaders in particular, have the responsibility to serve as role models in upholding the organization’s ethical standards. Short-listed individuals will also be required to complete the pre-appointment declaration of interests for senior positions to identify possible conflicts of interest that may arise and to proactively prevent and manage, as much as possible and in a timely manner, situations in which personal interests may conflict or appear to conflict with interests of the EMUNI, should the individual be appointed to this position.
Application Procedure and timeline
Interested candidates should submit their application ONLINE. In case of further inquiries you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for receiving applications
15 September 2023 @ 23.59 CET
The application must contain, as attachment, the following supporting documents:
- a cover letter describing how the candidate’s qualifications and experience match the requirements of the post;
- a candidate’s curriculum vitae;
- a copy of the candidate’s Ph.D. certificate;
- a copy of the Decision on the award of the academic title of full professor to the candidate and
- a completed EMUNI Professional History form
The President is selected by a Search Commission of six members composed of three members appointed by the Senate and three members appointed by the Management Board. The Search Commission shortlists eligible applicants from a competitive international call. The Management Board appoints one of the shortlisted candidates as the President of the University.
The shortlisted candidates might be invited for an interview at EMUNI premises in Piran, Slovenia in late October or early November 2023.