Credit value: 9 ECTS
You are expected to improve your knowledge of the modern English language essential international business communication, including: informal and formal communication, spoken and written language, effects of communication failure and dealing with consequences.
Business English: Getting ready for a job interview, business communication using new media, communication in business meetings/trips, description of a service, business plans, importance of suitable expressions of disagreement and negative notions in a foreign language, negotiations.
Presentation of own culture in business environment: Intercultural competence development, appropriate attitude to otherness, understanding of interculturalism, pragmatics of cross-cultural communication.
Learning Outcomes and Objectives
After taking this course, you will gain knowledge in:
- The current need for understanding specifics of other cultures
- The role of the English language in international social processes
- Argumentative techniques and strategies
- The application of efficient writing for business environment communication
- Decision-making in linguistic mediation of linguistic and cultural specifics
- Reflection via the critical evaluation of interculturalism limitations
- Preventing negative impacts of inadequate linguistic decisions
Teaching and Learning Methods
Frontal teaching, working in smaller groups or pair work, independent student work, e-learning. Teaching methods will include explanation, conversation/discussion, working with texts, case studies, roleplay, and student presentations.
Presentations, written assignment and classroom contribution.
The course is taught by: